Wednesday 15 March 2017

Evaluation Task 1: Directors Commentary on the Use of Real Media

My directors commentary explores the inspiration of 'real media' in the form of other music videos. There are certain conventions of the real media that I do challenge, such as the male and female gaze. My video doesn't meet the normal conventions of a music video where there is a sexist view that use angles and camera shots to sexualise either the male or female body. I don't believe this was a convention of mainstream media that I need in order to make an effective music video. The inspiration from the 'real media' music videos also mainly don't conform to the idea of the male gaze.
The idea of my music video is inspired from multiple different music videos but the overview was my own original idea. The 'real media' inspired me to use special and a vary of different techniques to make my story as clear and symbolic as possible.
The two actresses in my video are supposed to be the same person but at different stages of their life. The older woman wishes to return to the past and be young again, through the uses of the reverse technique and stop motion I was able to emphasise this. The younger girl is supposed to be more adventurous yet hesitant about what the future holds. i achieve this through the scenes of her running forward but with an editing that causes her to move back one step for every two steps she moves forward. The singular scene of her in the city beside the garage foreshadows the fear she has for her future, which is emphasised through her repeatedly covering her face. The ending of my video with the walk towards the house and then the jumpy camera landing on the doorknob represents a return to reality. This shows the two versions of the same person morphing and becoming one again, returning home to her comfort zone.
Although the plot was my own original idea 'real media' has been important in inspiring me to use certain editing techniques to real emphasise my storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment